Sunday, November 4, 2018

Transparency: Keeping People Informed

Being Interviewed by Local News
I had a number of people this week, many of whom I never met before, thank me for the culture of trust via transparency we have created at St. Ann. The way to build a culture of trust is to let everyone know what's going on good or bad. Don't hide the truth. If I'm trying to accomplish something you might not completely agree with yet I'm transparent in what I'm trying to accomplish, at least there is an understanding. If I don't let you know what's going on, I'm not developing a culture of trust. A lack of communication usually leads to rumors and mistrust. Instead, fill that void with transparency and communication, and you won't have to worry about rumors and mistrust.

Abe Abuelouf
Being Interviewed
Communication and transparency! That's why this blog. That's why Monday Notes. That's why Flock Notes are sent out by Fr. Ernie, Kathy Schober, and Nicole McGlaughlin. That's why we post as much information possible on the school's Facebook page. That's why there is a Colts Parent Page on Facebook. We are on Twitter @stannschool. We are also on Instagram and YouTube. If we don't have a LinkedIn page, that's next.

Last week's blog received more publicity than all my other blogs put together. Channel 3 and Channel 5 news came out to the school to interview us. People stopped me everywhere I've gone to talk about it. Kelley and I enjoy going to Maximo's on Broad for Friday Night Date Night. Customers and employees alike were talking about it mainly because they know Fr. David Knight. Abe Abuelouf and our staff are heroes, and I come out looking like a genius. If you don't know what I'm talking about, read last week's blog.

The crazy thing is that my blogs receive anywhere from 800 to 3,600 hits. Last week's blog didn't even receive 400 hits. Fewer hits but much more publicity. Funny how that works.

Last week was an extra busy week even though we were off for All Saints Day. I took full advantage of the school being closed on Thursday to lock myself in my office to get some of my work done. We are playing catch up with the AdvancED accreditation process. We are basically having to do five year's worth of work in eight months. With students, teachers, staff, and parents completing the surveys, I'm confident our AdvancED leadership team will be able to create the school improvement plan.

I also worked on paperwork that's been building on my desk. I was taught to do the most important/urgent work first, the important/non-urgent work second, and everything else when you can. I believe I finished the important, the urgent, and some of the everything else.

I also learned from a former superintendent of mine that sometimes, when important/urgent work needs to be done, take a day away from campus, hole up somewhere, and get the work done. That's what I did last Friday. I spent a big chunk of that day at Panera on Stage Road, and worked without any interference. It was nice getting work done, but I missed the blessing of the pets, and my dogs need some major blessing. I did get to treat myself to a Panera breakfast. I do love me some egg & cheese on a plain bagel.

Sewing E.E.
If you were to ask me what are my least favorite things to do as the principal at St. Ann, they would be payroll and paying the bills. I reserve Wednesday mornings to do payroll. The first couple of times I did payroll, it probably took me five hours with more mistakes than I can count. Every time there is a mistake, I can expect a phone call from HR at the diocese. If there is a mistake on payroll, it is no one's mistake but mine. So, I've got to fix it. I don't like to make mistakes, but it happens. Now, I've got payroll down to two hours and only one or two mistakes. The week I don't receive a phone call from HR will be a very good week.

Sewing E.E.
Paying bills I reserve for Thursday mornings so that I can get them to the church office before Friday. Reviewing the bills is probably the day I cringe the most. I've been in Catholic School so long that I know we have to watch every penny. We have to scrutinize every bill to make sure we aren't being overcharged.

Sewing E.E.
Joni Crocker is our controller. So that we can keep a closer eye on our spending, I have asked Joni to add many lines to our budget so we can see how much we are spending with individual companies. I'm hoping this will give us a better idea of how we can save money, and help us build a better budget for next year. Thank you Joni for your leadership with the budget.

Thank you to everyone who responded to our request for the classroom speakers. The response was so enormous that we have more than we actually need. Mike Green is in the process of installing the speakers in the classroom with SMART Boards and also the gym. Installing the speakers with the SMART Board is a bit more complicated because more electrical work is needed. I believe speakers are already installed in all the other classrooms.

PEYOU Tripod for SPARKS
Romana Wendenon, our SPARKS teacher, requested five tripods for the work the students are performing in her class. She purchased one of the tripods herself. We asked some of our families who donated speakers if they could return the speakers they ordered and purchase a tripod instead. We were able to exchange three sets of speakers for four tripods. Thanks to our wonderful donors, this was a win-win for the students and school. Now, Mrs. Wendenon has the tripods she needs for her students.

Sewing E.E.
My favorite Extracurricular Exploration (EE) class this go-around is sewing. It is very practical for our students to learn how to sew. The best part is that it is taught by two of our 8th graders, Lauren Truelove and Ruby Langford. There is interest in having sewing EE class again next time. Starting in January, we will offer volleyball and hopefully scrapbooking. Who can lead scrapbook?

Food Drive List
The St. Vincent de Paul Food Drive starts on Monday and runs for two weeks. The food will be presented on Thursday, November 15th during Mass. Attached you will find a picture of what each class has been assigned to bring.

Also on November 15th, we will host STREAM Night from 5:30-7:00 pm in the school gym. Check the school's website and Monday Notes for more information.

League of Million
Word Readers
I love what Annmarie Ghio is doing with The League of a Million Word Readers. This is a new reading program designed to motivate students to read more, which will develop vocabulary, fluency, and comprehension. After reading a book, students take a reading comprehension quiz, which calculates word count. Ms. Ghio's goal is to have 100% of our students in grades 1-8 participate. 3rd grade is at 100% and 1st grade is at 94%. 4th grade had the highest increase in participation (31%) from September to October. Please help encourage your child to participate in the League.

Congratulations to 8th grader Alex Galvez for reaching the one million word mark. He joins Michaela Crews as the first two students to reach that mark. Way to go!

When the opportunity arises, I want to brag on our students for
Dominic Podesta
ATA Champ
accomplishments achieved outside of the school setting. 3rd grader Dominic Podesta competed in the ATA Fall Nationals in Orlando, and earned 1st place in Combat Sparring and 3rd in Traditional Weapons. From now on Mr. Podesta will serve as my dean of students. If you get in trouble, you will have to deal with him.

In my next blog, I hope to address our annual giving campaign, the importance of the campaign, and why it is necessary to have an annual giving campaign.

 Support St. Ann
Support St. Ann
Until then, thank you for following my blog. If you aren't following the school on Facebook, please do so. That's where you will get the majority of the news about the school.

God bless you,
Didier Aur, Principal
St. Ann Catholic School-Bartlett


1 comment: