Monday, December 3, 2012

Reece West and the 2012 Memphis Mission Trip

Reece West '13
Was I nervous?  Curious?  What was this trip going to open my eyes to?  These are all questions I was pondering over while on the dreary bus ride to inner city Memphis, TN.  I would agree in the fact of excitement being greater than anxiety.  I was ready to experience the world from a different perspective.

When we arrived, we quickly ate and went to bed; yet another sanctum for me to compile emotions about what would happen tomorrow.  I woke up the next morning to the song "I want a hippopotamus for Christmas".... Shoot me... After breakfast the other students as well as teachers/volunteers went off to the other schools in the bus.  I was lucky enough to be selected as a member of the 5th grade class at De La Salle, which is where we stayed.  As soon as the children started showing up I immediately became aware of how this trip was going to affect me.  Complete strangers, these kids...strangers coming up to other strangers, myself/classmates , and hugging us and asking the curious questions that germinate within the grade school mind.  It was almost heartbreaking- in an inspiring way.
Reece at De La Salle @ Blessed Sacrament

After conversing in the gym where the kids first went, I met my teacher, Mr. DB. He introduced me to the class as soon as everyone got situated.  Right off the bat Jibril, Paulo, Ahmed, and Maximino (Max for short) caught my attention.. They could dance, have an educated conversation, and make the class more enjoyable by simply being themselves; their happy selves.  They were funny!  Jibril making funny noises in the back while Paulo and Ahmed were wrestling to answer a math question correctly.  All four students were smart, entertaining, and fun to be around.

Reece tutoring a math student
Besides the work in class, each child gained a special place within me.  They all had special qualities that are worth of recognition.  Max and Ahmed could dance like to tomorrow.  Jibril and Paulo were as smart as I when it came to algebra.  Reisha could tell you what to watch out for in Memphis while carrying the biggest smile on her face.  Mr. DB made the class fun by being easy going; low stress keeps a happy class.... apparently.  Sabrina was an angel, never did anything wrong?? :)  I could go on and on but let's get to the point.

Mission trips are life changing. I can 100% guarantee that you WILL NOT come out the same person that you went in.  Something about going into a Jubilee/Miguel School and seeing things that they deal with and go through.  You learn to relate to them, but not anything  close to the full story.  Coming from a more financially stable family, I saw things that I didn't know went on in kids' lives like that.  Some so destructive, some so positive.  The staff and faculty made it their every day goal to allow these kids at De La Salle to enjoy something about school.  Every single day these kids could show up to school and know that they would be appreciated, that they would be loved in some way, shape, or form.

As a student and as a (recent) mission tripper... I am proud to say that I helped those kids and I gave them someone to look up to; but more importantly I am proud to say that I can look up to them.  It's truly amazing and inspiring.

-Reece West, Helias Class of 2013 and Memphis Mission Tripper
2012 Memphis Mission Trip @ St. Augustine with Fr. Tony Clark

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was Reece's first mission trip. Glad it was a positive experience for you and the students you worked with. Remember, this is just the beginning. Mission and service are a life long commitment.

    ReplyDelete