Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Jessica Duncan and the 2012 Memphis Misson Trip


 Jessica Duncan, Helias Catholic High School, Class of 2013
Memphis was my first mission trip.  I was incredibly nervous. I didn't know what to expect.  Mr. Aur had told us we would be working with children at some of the schools.  He also mentioned that what we would see and experience would be unlike anything we've ever been through before.  He was right.
Driving to the schools in the morning, we passed by abandoned houses, homeless wanderers, and children walking to school.  We were far from the wealthy side of Memphis.  As the drive got longer and longer, I wondered what I would see inside the schools, if this was the community the children were coming from.  I needn't have worried.
Barbecue Dinner at CBHS
The first thing I saw at St. Augustine was a smile; a huge, bright smile.  The principal welcomed us into the school, her arms open wide and her smile even wider.  And as I entered the classroom, I saw her smile reflected in the smiles of the students.  They were so glad just to have us there. They willingly offered to share their playtime and activities, as well as an abundance of love. I hadn't realized how much these children, who came from a community that lacked many amenities we take for granted, had to offer.  I also didn't realize how much I myself, a girl from a nice family, a good school, and enough comforts to spare, needed.  I needed their reminder of the simple joy in living, in having a godly life, and sharing everything I had with the world.
Aid Station @ mile 13 of Marathon
The children's lesson was echoed in the St. Jude Marathon.  Many runners took the time and breath to thank us for volunteering, for supporting them.  Even more humbling were the runners who were true heroes fighting for their cause: a father propelling his son in a wheelchair; a man running as a guide for a visually impaired man; a man in a wheelchair propelling himself forward with only the strength of his arms.  These heroes proclaimed their message to work for a higher cause than one's self.

While these major highlights are of a more serious nature, Memphis was extremely fun. From being woken up to rather obnoxious Christmas music to Beale Street, it was a truly memorable experience.  I relished the opportunity to grow stronger in my faith, to grow closer to the classmates I had previously not known, and to see the innocence and joy in the eyes of God's children.  Memphis opened my eyes to all this, and the potential I had not realized I had within myself: the potential to give love and support to those who need it; really, the potential of God.
Aid Station 13: Beale Street

No comments:

Post a Comment