Sunday, January 15, 2023

8th Grade Confirmation

My favorite part of the school day is when I remove the administrator's hat to enter the classroom as an educator. For one class period per day, I can fulfill the reason why I got into education in the first place; to teach.

My teaching assignment is predicated by need; I teach the class and subject where we would have to hire a teacher to teach just one class period. This year, I am teaching 8th grade religion. Whatever I teach, I spend the summer before the new school year prepping for that class. Since most of my outside reading is religion/faith based, prepping was something I looked forward to.

The focus of 8th grade religion is Confirmation prep. What is cool about Confirmation prep is that it is so much more than being "sealed with the gift of the Holy Spirit." It is also about being "strengthened for service to the Body of Christ."

With Confirmation only two weeks away, my students have led several service projects (Catholic Charities and Dorothy Day House), studied the Sacraments and the Mysteries of the Rosary, learned the purpose of patron saints and sponsors, discussed the Sunday gospel readings, and spent every class period reflecting and writing. Most importantly, the students are focusing on God's love for them and their love for themselves.

As we learn everyday in class, we cannot take care of others until we can take care of ourselves first. And, we cannot love others until we love ourselves first. If I am not the person I want to be, it is up to me to become that person.

Our hope isn't just for the Sacrament of Confirmation, it is for a lifetime of service to the Church. As Fr. Dexter said in his homily at Mass yesterday, "Our duty as Christians is to lead others to God." As we continue preparation for Confirmation, your prayers and support are much appreciated. 

Enjoy your week, and see you on January 27th for Confirmation.

God bless you, Didier Aur

https://www.sascolts.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment