Monday, April 22, 2019

Happy :)

5th Grade Altar Servers with Fr. Bill
I wasn't planning to blog during Easter weekend because there are more important things to do during this weekend, especially to go to church and spend time with family. Between attending services at St. Ann and St. Michael and being with my family, it was a pretty full and wonderful weekend. But, I decided to take part of today to write a blog for this week. I'll take another week off some other time.

I will begin with a realization that struck me
Empty Tabernacle on Holy Thursday
like a jolt when Fr. Ernie left the tabernacle empty at the end of the Holy Thursday Mass. I was actually moved and saddened seeing the empty tabernacle. That's when I realized that when the tabernacle is empty, the tomb is not, and vice-versa; full tabernacle equals an empty tomb. I know for most people it is probably a "duh, of course it is" moment. For me, it was a very moving epiphany. If I got nothing else out of Easter this year, that realization is enough for me in appreciating even more Jesus's sacrifice for us all. Without the resurrection, Christianity would not exist. An empty tabernacle means no resurrection.

That's why the chief priests and elders "gave a large sum of money to the soldiers" to say that "His disciples came by night and stole him while we were asleep." This is from today's Gospel reading. (Matthew 28:8-15) If they convinced everyone that the resurrection did not take place, then there would be no risen Lord.

As for this blog, you might think that the title of this blog, Happy :), is for Happy Easter. I guess it could be since this is the most important day for all of Christendom. So, I do wish everyone a Happy Easter, and that all of you spent time in prayer giving thanks for the resurrection.

 Click to Watch Happy
As for the title, it is for another Happy. So, I have an assignment for St. Ann families. Actually, this assignment is for anyone reading this blog. When you are looking for something to do as a family, please take the time to watch the  documentary Happy by Roko Belic on Netflix. The reason I suggest watching Happy as a family is because it is a documentary and some of the younger family members might need just a little explaining about what some of the researchers are saying about happiness. In this fast-paced, self-centered, negative leaning, materialistic world of instant gratification we live in; we many times forget the importance of happiness, compassion, caring, gratitude, love, appreciation, while thinking of things bigger than ourselves, and making the world a better place.

This documentary shows the happiest and least happiest people on earth. The producers/researchers of this documentary traveled the globe to learn more about happiness. We could all use a big dose of happiness and a lot less drama and unhappiness. It is easy to get caught up in a world of negativity. In my family, we call it negativitude. This just means having a negative attitude. Need to replace it with lots and lots of positivitude. Or as Jason Mraz says in his song Have It All, "May the best of your todays be the worst of your tomorrows." Happy is definitely worth watching. If you need some happiness, this might just be the kick start you need. It was a great reminder to me to focus more energy to just be happy.

I was able to spend half of Holy Thursday and all of Good Friday at St. Ann all by myself trying my best to make the school better for next year. We are up to date on teacher contracts for the 2019-20 school year. Still have a few more hires to make because we are growing. I have also completed a big chunk of the budget for next year. There are a few things to add but not many.

With the improvements we have made, people recognize the changes being made to make our school a better place for our students. And, these folks believe in our mission and the work we are doing so they are entrusting their children to our care. This means the number of students and families joining our school is on the rise. We have already surpassed this year's enrollment for next year, and it is still April.

No matter how much we've improved, there are a few families who believe the grass is greener somewhere else and some who don't like the fact that I'm asking the teachers to push the students to the next level. That's fine. My job is not to make everyone happy. My job is to make St. Ann the best school possible. We've made lots of improvements and plan to make even more in the future.

I was once told by a great leader that if I and my actions are universally liked, then I'm not pushing hard enough.

With that being said, my goal is to make St. Ann the best school. Another goal is to be the best principal I can possibly be. I don't show up every day to be average. I don't work hard to just get by. I don't work to bring people on board trying to be mediocre. I do all these things in striving to be the best. And, I'm going to do it through hard work, putting together a great team, and most importantly by being HAPPY! For those who are on board and happy, let's kick this pig, together! In other words, let's get started! Let's get started anew every morning in making St. Ann a better school.

Alumni Spotlight:
Ashlen Cook made the Color Guard team at SBA! SBA is starting a marching band and color guard for the first time starting next school year. Also, the SBA Rock and Soul Band went to Atlanta last weekend for a band trip and performed for the students at Hamilton Middle & High School. In addition, their last concert will be this coming Sunday, April 28th, at Neil's Music Room from 4-6 pm. Cover charge is $5. Ashlen is a vocalist for the band and there are four other St. Ann alums in the band- Jack Conway, Wyatt Packard, Matthew Li, and Andrew Mays.

If you have never been to Neil's, it is a treat. Neil Heins is a great guy and a supporter of Catholic education.

God bless you,
Didier Aur, Principal

No comments:

Post a Comment