Wednesday, May 9, 2018

The Times They Are A-Changing'

In 1964, Bob Dylan wrote and released the song "The Times They Are a-Changin'." Dylan was right, the times are a-changin', constantly. The times for the Jubilee Schools are a-changing as well.

In 1999, St. Augustine was re-opened by the Catholic Diocese of Memphis as the first Jubilee School. The opening of St. Augustine was quickly followed by the opening of St. Joseph, St. John, De La Salle at Blessed Sacrament, Little Flower, and Holy Names. St. Patrick, Resurrection, Our Lady of Sorrows, and Memphis Catholic soon followed. That's a pretty incredible network of schools; the Jubilee Schools.

Jubilee Schools In 2002, this is when times were a-changing for me, and where I came into the Jubilee picture. I was hired by Dr. Mary McDonald to re-open Holy Names in North Memphis, and serve as its first principal. Of all the things I have accomplished in my professional career, opening Holy Names was the greatest. The four years I served as principal of Holy Names were the best. I was a rookie principal leading a bunch of relatively inexperienced educators. We worked hard with a lot of passion, and did some incredible things. Those were some fun times. We learned under fire, and it was sink or swim. And, we swam!

 Resurrection Catholic School
I have had the privilege and honor of serving as principal of Holy Names and Resurrection, head of school at Memphis Catholic, and development director for all nine Jubilee Schools. I have loved my time with the Jubilee Schools. It has been an adventure with no lack of excitement. Our students are incredible, and our teachers are passionate about educating our students.

The times they are a-changing for the Jubilee Schools once again.
 Memphis Catholic Middle & High School
This past January, the diocese announced the closing of all nine Jubilee Schools plus St. Michael at the end of the 2018-19 school year. That will mark the 20th year of Jubilee Schools. As Frank Sinatra sang, "That's Life." It is life, and it has been a great ride. No sour grapes; that's life. I've enjoyed making a positive difference in our community every day working in the Jubilee Schools.

 St. Ann Catholic School- Bartlett
Now, my job as development director for the Jubilee Schools will be eliminated. Time to move on to the next challenge in life, which will be as principal of St. Ann Catholic School in Bartlett. Fr. Ernie DeBlasio asked me to be the principal, and I graciously and humbly accepted the position. I will have the privilege of becoming a St. Ann Colt! I look forward to once again working with teachers, students, and parents, while remaining in Catholic education. I have been in education for 30 years, and served in school leadership for 16 of those years. Plus, I was the principal of Resurrection with Fr. Ernie. I look forward to working with him again.

 Jubilee Catholic SchoolsPlease do not forget the Jubilee Schools. Even though my position won't exist, the Jubilee Schools still have one more year. The Jubilee students need your support. If you currently support the schools, please continue to do so. For all the love and support you have shown the Jubilee Schools, thank you.

Thank you to all the administrators, teachers, staff, students, parents, and supporters I have worked with in the Jubilee School. Y'all are wonderful and I'm going to miss you. I would like to thank Bishop Emeritus Terry Steib, Mary McDonald, Janet Donato, David Hill, and Kristi Baird for giving me the opportunity to be a part of the Jubilee Schools for so many years in so many different capacities. I am very thankful to have been able to serve the Jubilee Schools in so many ways. My heart will always be Jubilee.

 Blue Streak Scholarship Fund
For the past two years, I have served the Jubilee Schools by building relationships with our supporters. I have met so many incredible people. I never would have met these wonderful folks had I not served as development director. Many of you will hear from me again because I'm going to ask for your support for St. Ann. You aren't getting off the hook that easy. 😇 Blue Streak will also be hearing from me. I can never thank Blue Streak enough for years of Jubilee support. You have truly made a positive difference in the lives of our students.

The times they are a-changin'. That's life. See you at the next stop.

Please come visit me at St. Ann Catholic School. Just as everywhere else I've worked, all are welcomed.

God bless you,
Didier Aur

No comments:

Post a Comment