Monday, May 7, 2012

Another 2nd Generation Mission Leader Speaks


This blog was written by Stefan Balcer.  Stefan graduated from Helias in 2011 and is a veteran mission tripper.  He was also one of the members of the Helias football team who made it to the Dome twice.  Stefan has also been active with Life Teen.  At the beginning of his senior year, he and Alex Eickhoff were the leaders of the Frosh Camp.  Stefan is a sophomore at Mississippi State University where he is studying to become an architect.
Stefan is on the far right.  This is on the 2011 Memphis Mission where he served as a chaperon.

Missions have become a big part of life. I went on my first mission trip in December of my junior year. I had spent the prior summer with the group that had gone on the Springfield, IL mission trip. I saw how close this group had become over the trip, no matter if they were a freshman or a senior. I can still remember standing in Mr. Aur’s kitchen and telling him that I WAS GOING on the next mission trip, no matter what. I signed up for the Memphis mission trip, and was selected to go. I was nervous going on the trip, because I didn’t really know what to expect and there weren’t many of my friends going. I now realize that it doesn’t matter who you’re with because you are all there for the same reason, to serve. The motto for this trip was “Do something bigger than yourself”. I thought that I had accomplished this by just going on the trip, but I was wrong. Taking this statement to the fullest was being completely selfless and to do everything for others that you could. This trip was the beginning of my service journey. After the completion of trip I was instantly hooked.
Stefan working on a Habitat Home in Springfield, IL
I then went on to participate in the St. Louis trip that coming January. That trip will always be one of my favorites. Working in the sheltered workshops on long side the workers is a true reality check. We always complain how bad our life is or what we might be going through, and never take the time to “stop and smell the roses”. These people are full of love and joy that I have never seen in anyone else in my life. It was amazing to me how these people could be so open and so loving to strangers and not think anything of it. They taught me that no matter your situation, you should take the time and enjoy life. 
Group from Helias & O'Hara who helped rebuild the church in the background.

The next trip was Mexico, which I never would have gone if Jonathan Aur would have not encouraged me to do so. And I’m so glad he was so persistent in getting me to go. Mexico is by far my most memorable mission trip, and most humbling. It was not until I went to Mexico and served in the slums of Hermosillo, or the surrounding villages that I understood what poverty really was. These people had next to nothing and would give anything they could to you; to make sure you were comfortable. I also learned a lot about true faith on this trip. Even though these people lived in such horrible conditions they had a faith stronger than anything I could imagine. In a letter that a friend wrote to me on the trip she said, “It isn’t all about your “religion” but more about your “relationship” with God”. This really hit me and still sticks with me to this day.
Stefan on the 2010 Mexico Mission

In June, I participated on the Springfield mission trip. It was the true definition of “serving others”. Building a home for someone is something I think everyone should help do. Helping out someone in your community is truly giving of yourself. The gratification you get from seeing someone so thankful for you helping to provide them with a home might be one of the greatest experiences ever. I then went on to serve on the St. Louis and Springfield mission trips my senior year. I went off to college in Mississippi and volunteered with the Oktibbeha County Habitat for Humanity to help build a house. This experience was more of a “real life mission” for me because it was me going out on my own to help others.
Stefan working at WORTH Industries in St. Louis
I then chaperoned the Memphis mission trip. This trip was very special to me because it was where I had begun my mission journey. It all became very clear to me that these missions have a special place in my heart, since I was returning as an alumnus to help. My mission experience came full circle in Memphis. I was able to stand back and look at the high school kids and think how things have changed. It made me wish that they knew how much these missions not only effected who we helped, but also changed us as well. It made me proud to see these kids give up their time to help others. I am looking forward to returning to Springfield in June, this time as a chaperon. I hope to come out with the same thoughts as I did from Memphis. I don’t think I have to worry about that too much though. Helias is full of special kids who are willing to help, and the mission trips really help to show that. In short, the mission trips have changed my life, for the better. I really want to thank Mr. Aur for the endless hours he spends to make sure these trips happen. His dedication is inspirational. Go out and “Do something bigger than yourself”!




No comments:

Post a Comment