Friday, April 24, 2020

From St. Ann to New Jersey: A Nurse's Story

Nurse Christy Matlock
I want to continue with this series of guest bloggers. I asked Christy Matlock if she would be willing to be a St. Ann guest blogger. Christy has been serving as our school nurse and has revamped and totally reorganized the school clinic. She also stocked it with everything needed in a school clinic. It is like a night and day difference in the clinic this year. Christy is on the frontlines of this COVID-19 battle. I'll let Christy share her story with you.


Most of y’all know me. I had the privilege of being your school nurse this year. Our daughter, Scarlett, started school at St. Ann in Pre-K 3 with Ms. Sellers and Mrs. Bannister. My husband, Coach Blake, coached flag football and basketball. I've been in Memphis most of my life. Born in Ohio but left as a baby to come here. We have grown to love this school and the people in it so much already.

I am a Registered Nurse and worked at Methodist North and St. Francis Hospital on Park until the outbreak of COVID-19. With surgeries cancelled and census low at the hospitals here, I joined up with a travel nurse agency and traveled up to New Jersey to help the nurses up here. I'm working at a hospital called CentraState Medical Center in Freehold, NJ, which is about 45 miles from New York City. 

It was not an easy decision to make. It was a decision based on love for my family and love for my career. I’ve been in New Jersey a little over 2 weeks now, and what I see makes my heart tired. I see nurses who have been bravely fighting this battle for over a month, almost 2 month. I see ever changing policies on balancing patient care and the need to protect the staff members. I see the looming threat of diminishing supplies of PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) and the hospital administration doing their best to retain it and secure more. I see patients, so many patients, sick as I have ever seen them, alone with only us to comfort them. I have never taken care of patients this way, and I hope I never have to again.

I'm ok so far. We are running out of gowns here though. Using the same gown unless it becomes terribly soiled for every patient for entire shift, and they are trying to figure out how to extend the use longer. I asked the hospital today about trying to find some washable waterproof material and see about making everyone 2 or 3 gowns a piece that way at the end of each shift they can be laundered and decontaminated and ready for use next shift. If you know anyone that sews and thinks this is a mission they want to try, I would pay them to make me a couple to see if this will work for us! I'm not sure how much longer we will have gowns at all. I brought one rain suit with me in case we ran out. I may have to break it out soon! 

Matlock Family and
Fr. Favazza
Please pray for these patients and their families. Please pray for ALL frontline workers, including those who work in grocery stores and restaurants. Please pray for healing from this terrible virus.

God willing, I will see you all this fall. I miss my St Ann family. My contract is over July 11th, and I will be on my way home. I miss my babies and husband so much!!! Please stay safe out here y’all. Do the social distancing and wash your hands frequently!! 

Much Love,
Nurse Christy

 Support St. Ann Catholic School
Thank you Christy, for your service, not being afraid to face this pandemic on the frontlines, and for being a hero. You will be in our prayers as you continue to do God's work on earth.

God bless you,
Didier Aur, Principal
St. Ann Catholic School

1 comment:

  1. Christy, thank you for your dedication to helping others. Thank you for fulfilling your responsibility as a medical professional. May God continue to watch over and protect you and your family, and may your faith in Him never waiver. God Bless you and all those on the "front lines" of this battle.

    ReplyDelete