Sunday, March 29, 2020

How Are You Doing?

This morning I received a text from my sister-in-law asking the question; How are you doing? Thought I would take that question and make it the subject of this week's blog.

How am I doing? I'm doing well. Thank you for asking and for your concern.

In a running email conversation with a St. Ann parent, I wrote that I actually thrive on a bit of chaos. When things are smooth, I’m not at my best. I need to constantly be challenged. What is happening now, is definitely a challenge. This is my ideal work situation with fires everywhere!

There are three phrases that just drive me crazy. They are 1) Let's maintain the Status Quo, 2) I don't like change, and 3) We've never done it that way before. That cannot be said of our current world situation. If you want status quo, don't like change, and never done it another way, this is now a time for you to grow and embrace the changes in our lives. Time to change your way of thinking and doing. Definitely cannot bury your head in the sand.

Albert Einstein said, "Creativity is intelligence having fun." I absolutely embrace the opportunity we have been given to use our creativity to the fullest to improve our global situation. I think many people are just now realizing we have to start thinking globally and about others. We had a few days to change the way we live our daily lives. We've had to change the way we work. We've had to change the way we interact. It is a time for us not to despair, mope, think and act negatively. Anybody can complain. So don't. We are given an opportunity to shine. So, Shine! Every day, I see more people using creativity in helping to make everyone's situation just a little bit better. I want to be a part of that!

I took yesterday off from school work. I figured out yesterday that I had worked 17 days in a row and put in more hours each day than I normally do. Staying on the leading edge of this process we are creating is exhausting. I’m beat. Yesterday, I stepped back and let my mind rest. Spent most of yesterday doing chores: gardening, washing clothes, cleaning the house, even went shopping at Aldi’s and Big Lots (my two favorite stores along with Lowe's and Barnes & Noble). I also purposefully stayed away from the computer for most of the day. Today, I'm much better and looking forward to starting up again, but just maybe slowing down a bit.


View from my front porch
I am writing this blog while sitting on my front porch enjoying this cool, calm, beautiful morning, while soaking up some much needed sun, and listening to the birds chirp and sing. Since I have been sitting here, very few cars have driven down my street but lots and lots of neighbors have walked by with their dogs. Dogs are loving this.

A squirrel just came by and didn't notice me working on my blog. Neither did the squirrel realize it was going to become part of my blog. The squirrel was about 20 ft. away from me. It dug a little hole in the grass, buried some food, covered it up for safe keeping, and scampered away.

The reason I am sitting on my front porch is because our "Shelter at Home" ordinance and I cannot go anywhere. I don't want to sit inside on such a beautiful day when it is nice and peaceful out here. I could complain about the situation, but it is not in my nature to complain. To me, the glass isn't half full, it is overflowing. So, I'll make the best of it. If I would not have made the best of the situation and come sit out on my front porch, I would have never witnessed that squirrel burying its food in the ground. I've never seen that before. To me, squirrels are something my dogs chase, who climb all over my trees, and are constantly trying to chew their way into my attic. Today, I witnessed something different. I witnessed another one of God's creatures doing what it does every day, trying to survive.


Gacha Life Mr. Aur
All this to say, with the long weeks and days we have endured and will continue to face for God knows how long; with all the work that is required of us in these changing times; with the little sleep we are getting; and for the many unknown challenges we all face in our new world, let's embrace what is happening with some gusto. Be creative, do something different, accept the challenge, and thrive on the chaos.

In yesterday's homily, Fr. Ben Bradshaw said. "Let's hope that this will have some meaning and God will make us stronger." What we are going through will only have meaning and God will only make us stronger if we accept the challenges before us with love, compassion, generosity, and patience in making the best of what we have. After this is all said and done, I hope to be a better person, husband, father, son, brother, friend, educator, and most of all a better Christian.


 Support St. Ann Catholic School
So, as far as my situation and how I'm doing? Think I'll follow the squirrel's example and go plant some flowers, a few tomato plants, and maybe even some okra because my wife loves okra.

St. Ann...Pray for us!


God bless you,
Didier Aur, Principal
St. Ann Catholic School

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic read. It is good to slow down and catch your breath.
    I think that the squirrel was planting a tree for you, knowing how much that you love the big oak in the back yard. These are trying times for all. Different times. More importantly, these are times to really put our faith in God. Times to increase our devotion to the Blessed Mother, asking for her intersession, daily. Let us not be swayed by fear. Instead, let us continue to grow in our faith and continue to work towards our eternal life with Christ. My hat goes off to you and all those who continue to work tirelessly to educate our children.
    Keep up the great work......God's work. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete