Sunday, September 22, 2019

I Love to Work!

Today has been a very good day. After a non-stop work week of putting in 10 to 13 hour days, attending evening meetings, and spending a good portion of Saturday on the soccer field watching several of our St. Ann teams in action; today I got to relax. I enjoyed time with family, attended Mass, went out for lunch after Mass, finished reading The Outsiders (What a great read!), watched the Formula 1 Grand Prix of Singapore and several episodes of Barnwood Builders, cooked dinner and did laundry for the week.

Is this what I do every Sunday? I would say that's pretty close to what most of my Sundays look like. Need to throw a few English Premier League games into the mix.

What does this have to do with St. Ann? Nothing and everything. Since I spend 55-60 hours per week at St. Ann, thought you should know a little bit about what I do on my day off.

What else do I think you should know? Well, I love to work. I work 55-60 per week because I enjoy doing my job. No one requires me to put in that much time at St. Ann. I do so because I receive lots of satisfaction from a job well-done. I derive fulfillment not from helping people be happy, but from helping people be better. If I can help the students become better at everything they do, I receive fulfillment.

Do I do all this so the students can make the honor roll, achieve high test scores, and prepare them for high school and beyond? Well, those are great and admirable things to strive for. But, I do all this work to help the students obtain salvation. In working for their salvation, I hope to develop students who are well-adjusted in life, who will serve those in the community in need, and who make a positive impact on society.

How do I hope to accomplish this? Mainly through example. I want a school full of adults who set the right example of walking the talk of Christianity every day to help make the students better people.

We need to teach our students to be better people. That means teaching responsibility; pushing our students academically; expecting them to have proper behavior; teaching them about kindness, compassion and service; and most of all, developing their faith and love.

The test scores will come. The success in high school and beyond will happen. All of this will take place if we focus on making our students better people by setting the proper examples and holding them accountable. If we all follow the examples Jesus set for us, we will all be better people.

 Support St. Ann Catholic School
What prompted me to write this particular blog? All of today's readings: Amos, Psalms, 1 Timothy, and Luke. If you didn't hear or read today's readings, CLICK HERE to do so.

Have a great week.

God bless you,
Didier Aur, Principal
St. Ann Catholic School


No comments:

Post a Comment