Sunday, December 16, 2018

We Need Your Expertise

My Extracurricular Exploration
Soccer Team
I never thought that I would spend so much time reading and studying about education. I'm constantly thinking about what education looks like, and what it should actually look like. Since technology has taken over our lives, education has never looked the same. For decades, education never changed; it always looked the same. Now, education changes at the speed of technology. Educators cannot keep up with all the changes. As soon as the newest, latest and greatest educational thing comes out, it is already no longer the newest, latest, and greatest educational thing out there. To keep up, it takes a lot of money, training, and time. It also takes lots of research. That's why I'm always reading and studying about education. Keeping up is hard to do.

Our second computer lab
is getting lots of use.
In business, if you aren't innovative, creative, and are afraid of failing, you will. You cannot lose your edge. You have to stay focused, work smart, and take risks. Catholic education is no different. It is a business, and needs to be run like a business. It is part of the work of the Catholic Church but it is still a business. We have customers who pay us to educate their children. We do the best we can to work with the parents to educate the children. We want parents to feel at home when they walk through the school doors. Parents are a huge part of the educational process. Parents are actually the children's first teacher. We are there to support the parents. At the same time, Catholic Schools cannot survive without help from parents.

We have remodeled the
second computer lab to make
it more user friendly.
We need your expertise. Think of a way that you can help the school with the talents you possess. And, put those talents to use helping the school become a better school for all the children. Everyone has something to offer; everyone.

Steve Sones helped with security. George Dhuy and May Young work the carpool line every morning. Lori Locke is part of the development committee. Stephanie Nichols, Kathy Schiavone, and Jamie Coggins put on the St. Ann Fall Fest. Barry Wymore repaired the fence by the school entrance. Jimmy Crews has been working on repairing the school's website. Liz Wehmeyer taught our teachers about Apple Apps. Jennifer Podesta and Jessica Orban coached our volleyball team. These are just a few examples of great things our parents have or doing for our school.

My new St. Ann
stocking cap.
If you enjoy athletics, coach a sports team. If you enjoy reading, come read to a class or a group of students. If you are an engineer and good at math, tutor a student in math. If you write for a living, tutor a student in writing. Or, come have lunch with your child.

If you don't have time, but you are willing to help in other ways, we have a wish list of needs to enhance our children's education.

We all have a talent we can share for the good of our students. Please share. Feel free to contact me so that we can talk about ways you can share your talent(s). We need your expertise. Thank you.

 Support St. AnnI do have another favor to ask of you. I'm not sure who reads my blogs. Some of my blogs have been read by over 3,000 people. Some of my blogs have been read by a little less than 200 people. That's a huge variance in readers. If you don't mind, I would appreciate it if you could leave a comment. Just like to know who is reading, and get your thoughts.

God bless you and Merry Christmas,
Didier Aur, Principal
St. Ann Catholic School






36 comments:

  1. I look forward to your weekly blog updating us on a variety of things or just your thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate you taking the time to post these blogs. I loved getting to coach the micro soccer team this year! Getting involved in any way definitely makes you feel like a patt of the St. Ann family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Samantha, Thanks for letting me know that you coached the micro soccer team. I just learned something new. Thanks for being a part of St. Ann!

      Delete
  3. Reading your blog is how I end my Sundays. Love it! Thanks for all you do.

    Jamie Coggins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jamie. Get some rest. And, appreciate all you do as well.

      Delete
  4. Always look forward to your blog. Keeps me in touch with my friends in Memphis and is always enlightening. Keep up the great work. God's work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Philip, Thanks for keeping up with St. Ann and Memphis. If and when we have a wings cooking contest, hope you will be here. Better yet, a pork steak cooking contest!

      Delete
  5. I always look forward to the blogs! St Ann has been an important part of my life since I was 4 so I’m always willing to help where I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Jennifer, Thanks for all you do. Love seeing the Podesta family every day at school.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy the blog each week. Thank you for all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never miss your blog. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed reading your blog and keeping up with the inside scoop.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read every Monday morning before I come in and teach our students!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoy reading your blogs very much! It is wonderful how engaged you are with the students and parents. Merry Christmas!

    Carrie Richardson

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good morning! I too enjoy reading your blog each week! It helps me feel connected still to the St. Ann School family I love so much now that my kids have all graduated & no longer St. Ann students! Keep up the great work you are doing! Merry Christmas��

    ReplyDelete
  13. I look forward to reading what is happing in our school. I am so excited about everything that is going on and am looking forward to sending my little ones there in a couple years.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mr. Aur, I read your blog every week! I appreciate your transparency in letting us know what is happening, what needs to happen, and what is on your mind. Your blog is a great reflection of the richness of St. Ann's Catholic school education and what a gift each of our students receives by attending this fine school.

    Thank you for all you do and Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris. I learned a long time ago that leadership does not happen in a vacuum. For St. Ann, I want everyone to have ownership in the school. In order to for that to happen, I have to be transparent in what's going on. Everyone will know what's going on. Even if they disagree with what's going on, they will at least know what's going on. It leaves no room for rumors, and helps eliminate negative talk. My hope is that being transparent helps to build a positive culture for everyone involved. Thanks for your feedback.

      Delete
  15. As I start a certificate program in Catholic School Leadership at Creighton, I look forward to reading your blog for all the extra help, guidance, and ideas I can get from it.

    Adam Frazier
    Helias '07

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Adam! Great hearing from you. Good luck with the certification program. Please keep me posted on your progress. God bless you.

      Delete
  16. I enjoy your weekly blogs. I know how important my kids and all the St Ann families mean to you! Thank you for keeping us informed and taking the time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Adam— for what it’s worth, though I think the programs are different, I just was accepted to Creighton and will begin their EdD program in Interdiciplinary Educational Leadership in August 2019.
    Good to know / hear of a fellow Jay! :)
    Peace, Anthony

    ReplyDelete
  18. Di, wonderful blog post.
    I could help lead some writing workshops or writing tutoring / religion workshops / religion tutoring for an hour or two a week. :)
    Let me know if I can help, brother.
    - Tony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just gave your name to Annmarie Ghio. She is putting together a list of volunteers to help with reading and writing. Thanks.

      Delete
  19. Mr. Aur, I am a "parent from the past" and work at PDO. I love reading your blog. You are such an inspiration! I am excited for St. Ann and their future.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sometimes it takes me a day or two to get a chance to read it....... but I do! It's the only way I can keep up with my boss:) Thanks for all you do!
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike. Glad you keep up with what's going on. Appreciate all you do for St. Ann and the students.

      Delete
  21. I am a current/new parent..I do not get a chance to read your blogs immediately upon posting. It is such a cool thing to do. I did it while working on my MS in ECED. I loved it and so did my readers (although just a few) :) Keep up the GREAT WORK Mr. Aur!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. St. Ann is fortunate to have you, Didier! You always give everything 110%. This is one way for me to keep up to date on happenings in Memphis.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am coming when you'd ready

    ReplyDelete