Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Second Generation of Mission Trip Leadership

My latest blog is not mine but comes from Ian Thompson.  Ian is a Helias graduate from the Class of 2011.  Ian is a mission tripper having participated in a Memphis and Springfield mission.  On the 2011 Memphis Mission Trip, Ian served as a chaperon.  Ian, along with many other mission trippers, has served a leadership role on mission trips not just for Helias but at their college/universities and parishes as well.  This is a letter Ian sent to me.  Pictured below is Ian's group at Little Flower in Memphis.


Hey Mr. Aur,

I just wanted to take this time to thank you for the opportunity to be a chaperone and to continue doing service.  It meant a lot to me to go back to Memphis, which was my first trip.  The Memphis trip last year is a major reason as to why I love doing service today, it's kind of where it all started for me.  So it was great to have a chance to go back.  I really enjoyed working with you as a chaperone, it was a different perspective for me. Going on Memphis made me realize just how much our world needs help.  Our world is a place that is filled with poverty,violence, and hate. I believe the answer to these problems is simple. The answer is Love.  I hope we can continue to work together in the near future.  I will be available to help on the St. Louis trip if you need it, since I live here! However, I understand that you have a lot of alumni eager to chaperone, but if they can't make it you know where to find me! I wish you and your family a very merry Christmas! 
God bless you Mr. Aur, you are a real inspiration! 

Oh my brother there's so much more, Outside this storm
It's sometimes hell, But this means war
Don't give up now, Just past a shroud
There's a light ahead, Go through the clouds

Just show me love

Would you be mad if the world were lies, And the only way to live was to love
Would you be mad if I was by your side, And I tried, I tried to help you up
And you said nothing's changed, I'm still the same
I just got confused for a while, But I still care
I still wanna share, All of our stories for a while'

Oh my brother
It's good to see you smile
-Joshua James-

Peace,
Ian Thompson
Helias Class of 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment